FAHRENHEIT º RECOMMENDS…
RETROSPECTIVE • EXHIBITION • SIDE EVENTS • DISCUSSION
Jonas Mekas at Museo Universitario Arte Contemporáneo
• Exhibition organized by the Serpentine Gallery in London and co-produced with the FICUNAM
• The show offers a comprehensive tour of the most important film work of Jonas Mekas and of his installations, videos, photographs and visual documents.
• In parallel, will conduct a series of reflective activities and a film retrospective as part of FICUNAM
Considered one of the mythical figures of American experimental cinema, Jonas Mekas was part of a group of artists who revolutionized cinema in the 1960s. This exhibition offers a wide selection of his most important film work, mainly those linked to contemporary artists with whom established fruitful artistic collaborations, such as Andy Warhol, Yoko Ono, Herman Nitsch or George Maciunas.
The show also includes seminal pieces in the work of Mekas (Lithuania, 1922) that account for the way transformed this medium, as well as a selection of installations consisting of short videos with different themes, and a selection of photographs visual documents that form part of the archive of the artist, with the goal of offering a look at the context in which he worked.
About the exhibition at the MUAC, the 3rd edition of the International Film Festival of UNAM (FICUNAM) celebrates the work of Jonas Mekas with a retrospective that will take place from February 21 to March 3. For more information about the films that will be shown as well as the locations and times, visit: www.ficunam.unam.mx
The Chair Ingmar Bergman, and the program FICUNAM MUAC speaker invited to a converación with filmmaker Jonas Mekas and Nicole Brenez to analyze the work of filmmaker since the 1950s. MUAC Auditorium, February 23, 13:00 hrs. * To asist you must log in www.catedrabergman.unam.mx
• Open Forum | Jonas Mekas: This is an activity of mediation between the public, the artists and his works, through direct and open dialogue. March 13, 18:00 hrs. MUAC Agora, free admission.
• Tour of the exhibition with special guest (tbc), April 11, 18:00 hrs. Meeting point: ticket office. Advanced registration required firstname.lastname@example.org
• Reading Sessions: Beat Poetry – Guests from different generations, as Rocio Ceron, José Vicente Anaya and Daniel Saldaña, read a selection of beat poems, which reaffirms the idea of art as a way of self-expression. April 13, 18:00 hrs. MUAC Autidorium, free admission.
• Course context: journals, notes and sketches: Approaching the new cinema and experimental cinema, a trend that began in the fifties in the U.S. and was inserted in the work of Jonas Mekas and Andy Warhol and Jack Smith. Teaches Eva Saniorgi (Director FICUNAM). It will be held on April 4, 11 and 18,May 2 and 9, at 11:00 hrs. MUAC Conference Room, pre-registration ($ 300), limited seating.
• For more information on the video workshops for children and adults visit: www.muac.unam.mx
Images and information courtesy of the institution for promotion purposes only.
Museo Universitario de Arte Contemporaneo
Insurgentes Sur 3000, University Cultural Center, Coyoacan
Opening hours: Tuesday, Friday and Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00 hrs, Thursday and Saturday from 10:00 to 20:00 hrs.